Saturday, July 24, 2010

Not Good-Bye, But Good Luck!

   The day before last day(22 July 2010), I left Army. That means ETS, Estimated Time of Separation. For about 22 months, I've learned a lot from many different people and experienced happiness, fun, weird, frustration, and enlightenment. It's time to out. Before saying good-bye, I'd like to look back on the way I've walked.


   First of all, I'd appreciate everybody around me for their ongoing support. I'm very lucky to meet all of you. I've learned a lot, specially leadership, friendship, and communication. In the future, those values which I learned from you will have a great impact on my life. Thank you.

   Secondly, I'd appreciate your sacrifice for the world peace. I know a lot junior soldiers coming to S.Korea as the first deployment are very young. Some of them just graduated highschool. It's a big challenge that they adjust to live in a strange place. Besides, they don't know well about the Asian culture which is quite different from the American culture. Whenever I saw that they made a Skype with their family, fiance & fiancee, and friends very late in the night or very early in the morning, I felt sorry about that and appreciated your sacrifice.
  
   As recalling the young soldiers, suddenly there is one thing I'd like to ask them. I've seen many young soldiers coming and leaving S.Korea. Some of them fully enjoyed the Korean culture such as food, language, and tour before going back to States. However, most of them failed in going over beyond the Itaewon. I thought that it's a pitiful situation. For at least one year when they stayed in S.Korea, they could enjoy or just experience the weird Korean culture rather than only drinking beer. I was always trying to let them know how to read the subway map, where you can go, what you can expect to see, and something like that. Sometimes I picked up a camcorder to make a video log as below. Suh, one of my battle buddies, invited some soldiers including me to the Korean style grill restaurant. We really enjoyed the awesome dish.



   Thirdly, I'd appreciate what I got a lot chance to join up with the other people. I first went to volunteer at the orphanage 'Haeshimwon(혜심원)' near the Youngsan garrison. The 524th MI BN, which I worked for, have the Good Neighbor Program. This program encourage US soldiers in getting good relationship with the Korean society. Visting orphanage on the special day like Chridren's day, Thanksgiving day, and Christmas is one of the program. Also I went to SongJung elementary school(송정초등학교) as an English teacher for two weeks. The English Camp was very interesting. Lastly, I had a great chance to join 'The Korean Cultural Night for EUSA'. We enjoyed the night with very fine dish and music. More, I took a picture with LTG Joseph F. Fil, commander of EUSA. It was very honourable moment. I'll remember all of great experience and tell my friends.


   Finally, I have a moment of saying Good-Bye to ROK-US Army as KATUSA. I hope to keep in touch and I will do it. That's reason why we use Facebook. Thank you. Good Luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment