Friday, September 25, 2009

The Year of the NCO

I have been one personnel of the Non-commissioned officer, NCO groups as the CPL, since this July. When I had promotional ceremony, I did not consider that my state would change. However, that is wrong thought. After attaching an insignia of CPL on my ACU, a supervisor requires me to take care about a junior KATUSA. For example, a supervisor brought me to account for a junior KATUSA’s mistake. I think a supervisor tried to ask me responsibility at that time. It was hard for me to correct somebody’s fault, because I was afraid of ruining a good relationship with them. Also, I was not used to speak out. However, I had to do that as NCO. At that time, I first understood how NCO is a tough position. Then, I realized what the NCO is in a group with the wisdom of hindsight. From my experience, I start to reconsider about the position of NCO.

NCO is the backbone of the Army organization. In the human body, the backbone is the part of giving a body its main strength. According that meaning, NCO groups organize the Army and support it from bottom to top. They help the official groups and take care about junior soldiers. What the Army has the great NCO groups is meaning that they can conduct their duties with good effectiveness and high efficiency.

However, to be a good NCO is a far different from to be a NCO. NCO personally should set an example to their inferiors and themselves. Their good example improves the morale and shames their inferiors into working hard. Otherwise, their bad example destroys the military spirit and makes the inferiors commit an error without feeling guilty. Therefore, the Army established the title ‘The Year of the NCO’ in order to encourage and motivate each personnel in NCO groups. ‘The Year of the NCO’ is the title for the best NCO in the unit. However, I think the title is not for one best NCO, but all NCO themselves. All of NCO members need to take pride themselves as ‘The Year of the NCO.’ Therefore, they who have pride as ‘The Year of the NCO’ should conduct right things even without watchers.

No comments:

Post a Comment